Three megatrends are imminent. Each trend triggers a next paradigm metashift: a fundamental change of how we think about the metaverse and see our world. Literally.
Megatrends leading to Triple Paradigm Metashift
- The first megatrend is the relocation of key functions in all-in-one mobile phones to mobile hubs with a wide range of wearable companions:
- Wireless earplugs replaced your phone’s mic and speakers (speech)
- Smartwatches take over phone controls (touch and gestures)
- Smart (AR) eyewear might soon substitute your phone’s screen (sight)
- This current megatrend, Modular Mobility, enables us to superimpose anything digital into our real-world easily with small-factor AR overlays
- The rapid growth of Augmented Reality in the real-world instead of VR in simulated worlds, leads to the second megatrend: Reverse Virtuality
- Reverse Virtuality (RV) is the new mindset that the metaverse is not about merely an online 3D world for VR gear but about the real-world application of truly Mixed Reality for our AR-first physical world.
- These megatrends bring both big benefits and challenges that phase us to the third megatrend, ultimately leading to Societal Metamorphosis
- First phase: Digital Disorder, bad actors abusing disruptive meta-tech
- Next phase: Digital Renaissance, tech-for-good tackling global crises
- Final phase: Digital Singularity, irrevocable transformation of society
- The good news? A Digital Singularity would be so much better for human civilization than a Technological Singularity. The bad? It’ll be tough first.
Our world is on the brink of another technological revolution.
As we stand atop the steep slope of the S-Curve Pattern of Innovation, we can’t help but wonder what the future holds. Following the (mobile) internet revolution with the rise of the web and smartphones, it’s difficult to predict what lies ahead.Continue reading