There are 11 posts filed in Metaverse (this is page 1 of 2).
Alive and (busy) kicking!
Good day my friends,
You might be wondering when my (bi)weekly shares and monthly articles are coming again. Just a quick update that I am currently focused on a particular assignment which involves tons of research. Most are client specific so I cannot and won’t share these findings. Some are more generic yet jaw dropping like The Mukaab, a real-world Metaverse City if you will.
I will share these generic findings in an article around April 2023 due to client projects and personal time off for holiday and my kids’ birthdays.
Want more sooner? Feel free to follow or connect with me on LinkedIn where I am already sharing many developments by (re)posting and liking interesting news daily.
Have a wonderful Meta March!
The Triple Paradigm Metashift
Three megatrends are imminent. Each trend triggers a next paradigm metashift: a fundamental change of how we think about the metaverse and see our world. Literally.
Megatrends leading to Triple Paradigm Metashift
- The first megatrend is the relocation of key functions in all-in-one mobile phones to mobile hubs with a wide range of wearable companions:
- Wireless earplugs replaced your phone’s mic and speakers (speech)
- Smartwatches take over phone controls (touch and gestures)
- Smart (AR) eyewear might soon substitute your phone’s screen (sight)
- This current megatrend, Modular Mobility, enables us to superimpose anything digital into our real-world easily with small-factor AR overlays
- The rapid growth of Augmented Reality in the real-world instead of VR in simulated worlds, leads to the second megatrend: Reverse Virtuality
- Reverse Virtuality (RV) is the new mindset that the metaverse is not about merely an online 3D world for VR gear but about the real-world application of truly Mixed Reality for our AR-first physical world.
- These megatrends bring both big benefits and challenges that phase us to the third megatrend, ultimately leading to Societal Metamorphosis
- First phase: Digital Disorder, bad actors abusing disruptive meta-tech
- Next phase: Digital Renaissance, tech-for-good tackling global crises
- Final phase: Digital Singularity, irrevocable transformation of society
- The good news? A Digital Singularity would be so much better for human civilization than a Technological Singularity. The bad? It’ll be tough first.
Our world is on the brink of another technological revolution.
As we stand atop the steep slope of the S-Curve Pattern of Innovation, we can’t help but wonder what the future holds. Following the (mobile) internet revolution with the rise of the web and smartphones, it’s difficult to predict what lies ahead.Continue reading
The Metaverse Mall: the Future of Retail?
Imagine the metaverse became a reality: the lines of the digital and the physical are completely blurred with virtual objects superimposed onto our real-world. How would you picture a Metaverse Mall of the 2030s in a real-world scenario?
Key insights from this (sci-fi short) story
- A metaverse mall is not necessarily an online 3D shopping center
- Such a Meta Mall is primarily a physical, social “Smart Space”
- A blend of digital personal companions and physical public sensors
Apple Reality OS (rOS) renamed to Apple xrOS for its possibly delayed mixed reality headset
Apple Reality Operating System (or rOS for short) just seemed to be rebranded to Apple xrOS. Analysts took it as a hint that Apple was close to launching its mixed or eXtended Reality (XR) device as planned for early 2023. New reports indicate that headset shipment is delayed to the second half of 2023 due to software-related issues.
Key insights in this post
- Reports indicate that Apple rebranded Reality OS (rOS) to xrOS
- Shipment of the mixed reality device seems delayed to second half of 2023
- Expected volume less than 500.000 units in 2023 at a price of ~3.000 USD
The Metashift Quadrant: a model for potential impact of the metaverse
The Metashift Quadrant is a simple model to analyze the potential impact of one or multiple paradigm shift(s) caused by metaverse developments and its underpinning technologies like AI and XR. The four quadrants represent different types of impact.
Key points in this primer ‘metarticle’
- The four quadrants of the Metashift Quadrant
- Disruption: disrupting existing systems, structures and/or processes
- Innovation: driving (AI-generated) inventions by human’s creativity
- Synergy: creating connections across (completely) different domains
- Transformation: transform the way people think and behave
- On the x-axis the development stage ranges from early to late adoption
- On the y-axis the anticipated time and longevity for the shift to manifest
Keep reading to see the visualization of the Metashift Quadrant and a pretty mind-blowing kicker at the end.Continue reading
Smart glasses for deaf people: XRAI Glass. “Life. Subtitled”
The XRAI Glass app just released on the Google Play store. It helps deaf people to see real-time subtitling in the special augmented reality (AR) glasses from Nreal. Aside from transcription, paid plans offer translation capabilities as well.
- The app released in November 2022 on the Google Play store
- A free subscription plan offers unlimited transcription into 9 languages
- Paid plans offer translation ($~20/mo) and a personal AI ($~50/mo)
- The Nreal Air hardware goes for 350 USD/GBP or 500-800 EUR
- Watch the short video clip for a quick demo
New phase of Dubai’s metaverse strategy approved by its Crown Prince
Dubai’s metaverse strategy is entering a new phase now its Crown Prince approved to enhance the digital economy and implement measures to empower the use of the metaverse and future technologies. The official strategy “aims to turn Dubai into one of the world’s top 10 metaverse economies as well as a global hub for the metaverse community.”
Key insights on this news article of 24th Nov’22
- Dubai publicly shares its, albeit high-level and general, metaverse strategy
- Its aim is to become one of the world’s top 10 metaverse economies
- Aside attracting over 1.000 companies to Dubai in the field of blockchain and the metaverse, it aspires to support over 40.000 virtual jobs in 2030
- The key technology pillars are no strangers: all XR (AR/VR/MR) and digital twins
Interested in the full news article? Visit the publication on Khaleej Times.
Must-see metaverse video: it’s not a tech wave but social tsunami
The Economist just published a 20-minute must see metaverse video: “How will businesses use the metaverse?” The film shows how creative industries like Hollywood and game studios are using metaverse technologies such as AI and Digital Twin next to AR/VR. If this sounds like a tech wave, wait till you see the social tsunami.
My key insights from this video
- Leading industries like cinema, the army and healthcare are fully using “meta-tech” so the turning point for massive adoption is around the corner.
- Global issues like climate change are faced with AI and Digital Twins as “the operating system of the metaverse” but there is still a big problem:
- Lack of standards. We need protocols and structures to easily navigate from one (3D) world to another like we do with websites already.
How will businesses use the metaverse?
There are multi-trillion dollar opportunities.
Magic Leap 2 on TIME’s best inventions of 2022
TIME compiled a list of 200 of the best inventions of 2022, featuring the latest AR device by Magic Leap, Inc. The Magic Leap 2. Engadged even declares Magic Leap 2 is the best AR headset yet but ponders if the enterprise focus will save the company.